Tuesday, September 13, 2011

More on Vick

After receiving a lot of feedback on the last Michael Vick post, I wanted to respond to some of the comments I received.  Most were positive.  It was the others I wanted to respond to.  Most were of the same variety so I put them into 4 categories.


1.       He doesn’t deserve a $100 million dollar contract – I actually agree with this one.  I also think that pro athletes are grossly overpaid.  However, that was not the point of the post.  I wasn’t arguing whether or not he deserved the contract, the point was that people need to get over the whole dog fighting thing.  Sure it is a fucked up situation but others have done way worse and have been forgiven.  That was my point.  Also to the people that take up animal cruelty as a cause, I was saying there are way more important causes to fight for.  As far as the contract, yes it’s ridiculous.  With the Eagles offensive line as it is right now, I hope he plays out the contract.  I think teachers should be paid more than athletes (yes that’s a shameless self plug).  Unfortunately I like most of the people who said this, help to pay these insane contracts.  If we all stop watching games on TV, going to games, buying jerseys/apparel, and supporting the teams and leagues then the contracts will go away.  I’m not giving up my sports and I doubt you will either, so what’s the point in complaining about them?  Get over it.

2.       I can’t support a player who committed such a heinous crime.  Again, I wasn’t supporting Vick the person.  I support Vick the football player.  I am a fan of the Philadelphia Eagles.  I will support them no matter who plays for them.  The fact of the matter is that I buy my season tickets to be entertained. Michael Vick the football player is entertaining.  I’m not inviting him over to my house for a BBQ.  What he did was despicable, I’m not arguing that.  My argument was that people need to move on.  Whining and crying over is not going to change it.  Also, whatever happened to forgiveness?  That was the other point I was making.  Other athletes have committed more despicable crimes and have been forgiven.  Why not Vick?  Oh because everyone wants to get on their high horse and take up dog fighting as their cause du jour.  I’ll say it again; pick a cause that will change the world.  Is dog fighting causing people to lose jobs?  Is dog fighting causing the school system to fail?  Is dog fighting causing poverty?  I think you know the answer.  Stand up and fight hard for these causes.  They are the ones that will make a difference in the world.

3.       I will not be an Eagles Fan as long as Vick is the Quarterback – I thought I covered this before but again, so what.  You’re probably not a real fan anyway.  If you were, you’d realize that you root for the team.  You don’t have to like the players.  Shit, I’m a Philadelphia Fan, most athletes hate me and my boo bird, heathen brethren.  I don’t care if they like me or not as long as they win.  As a matter of fact, the player shouldn’t even be worried about me or any other fans.  They are making enough money.  I also don’t get the outrage over Vick. Ben Roethlisberger was accused of rape/sexual assault twice. He was never officially charged but come on.  Twice for the same thing?  To me where there’s smoke there is fire.  The man’s a scumbag, yet he has been forgiven.  Is it because he wins football games?  If it is then that is very contradicting.  Sexual assault/rape is far worse than dog fighting.  So what these people are arguing is that it’s ok to commit heinous crimes as long as you win football games?   It’s not ok to commit heinous crimes if you don’t win games?  Please tell me how that makes sense?

4.       Mike Vick is a scumbag because he is only sorry he got caught – Well obviously you didn’t read the blog post.  Please reread it.  Sure he might only be sorry he got caught but all of us would be in the same boat if we got caught doing something and I explained this.  Please go back and read.

That pretty much summed up the comments that I received.  I just wanted to address them in this forum.  Something tells me this will stir the pot more.  This story is not going away unfortunately.  Please let me know your thoughts.  Check us out on Facebook or on Twitter @Obs_Views_Blog  Also link up with me on LinkedIn (Jim Montgomery) Thank you to all of the loyal readers and please tell your friends.  Until next time this is Jimbo saying “I hope the scumbag wins the Super Bowl”. 

1 comment: