Thursday, February 2, 2012

Are You a Cardinal?



The 4 Pack is back.  There’s a few things that I want to get into so I figured today is the perfect time for the first 4 Pack of 2012.
 
Are You a Cardinal?
(I’m sure this post is going to win me a lot of Catholic fans)  On Tuesday Cardinal Anthony Bevilaqua died in his sleep.  Ordinarily I’d never comment on any type religious related death like this.  Partly because of fear (don’t want to piss the big guy upstairs off) and partly because frankly I just don’t care enough.  This case though really has me irked.  First of all, this man helped to cover up the priest sex abuse scandal.  Bevilaqua was responsible for “shifting” priests accused of molesting kids to other parishes; exposing countless others to these sick pedophiles.  In my opinion there is nothing to “praise” this man for.  He is despicable and should rot in hell along with all of his molesting priest friends.  This leads me to the second thing that irks me.  Just over a week ago, millions were critical of the way Joe Paterno was “crucified” (yes, pun intended) by the media for making “a mistake” in the Jerry Sandusky molestation case.  To me the two are completely unrelated.  Like I stated in this blog before, I am not a Penn St. fan.  However, the fact that I even bring this up is extremely offensive to JoePa and I apologize.  However, it irks me to no end that Paterno was made to be a villain yet Bevilaqua is praised for his “life’s work”.  A life’s work that has fucked up many people’s lives.  I’m not sure what the national coverage of the death of Bevilaqua is but I think it’s utterly ridiculous that just because this man was “holy” he can’t be criticized in death like JoePa?  He endangered far more people than what JoePa did.  It’s a disgrace.

By By By
Courtesy of blog.lib.umn.edu
I was watching the local news the other day I saw a story about a man and a cab driver who were pulled from the cab and beaten on a crowded Philadelphia street by 3 teenagers.  The man was being interviewed and was talking about the bystander effect.  He questioned how nobody on the street jumped in and helped.  I can answer that very easily.  First, in Philly there have been numerous problems the past couple of years with flash mobs.  People are not jumping in when there could be 100s of other teens hiding, waiting to pounce.  Sorry it’s the truth.  Secondly, it may sound harsh but you never know if the teens have a knife or gun. (The man actually said the same thing)  Again, people have to look out for themselves.  Finally, there have been many cases in which people have intervened and then been sued by the victims, caught a disease from someone involved, or worse.  While it may seem heartless, in this day and age you unfortunately never know what can happen.  Hell, you saw what happened to the gang on Seinfeld.

I’m not Going

Courtesy of martinblee.com
Recently the Boston Bruins were invited to visit the president at the White House in a tradition that dates back to the 1860s when Andrew Johnson would meet with baseball teams.  When the Bruins visited Obama they were without goalie Tim Thomas.  Thomas refused the visit because he feels that the government has grown out of control.  Huh?  This is ridiculous.  I’m all about free speech and standing up for what you believe but seriously Tim?  This was to honor your team’s victory.  This was not about you, it was the about the team.  It just looks bad.  If I was the owner of the team I’d have forced Thomas to go.  There have been many times I’ve been forced to do things while working various jobs that I didn’t want to do.  You are an employee of the Boston Bruins therefore you waive some of your rights when you are “on the clock”.  This was a team function therefore your political thoughts get put to the side.  Besides, the last thing I want to hear is athletes speaking about politics.  Just shut up and play.

Super Bowl

The Super Bowl is this weekend.  As an Eagles fan I will once again be watching disappointedly.  Making this year’s Super Bowl even more disappointing is the fact that the Eagles hated rivals the Giants are making their 2nd trip in the past 4 years.  They are taking on the New England Patriots, again, for the 2nd time in 4 years.  I’ll watch and honestly really hate that I have to root for one team to win.  Usually I’d say I have the commercials but I got impatient and started watching the leaks on YouTube.  Oh well.  As far as who I think will win the game?  I’m going with the Patriots.  Tom Brady is just too good to lose 2 Super Bowls….especially to the same team.

Courtesy of http://www.imagepicphotos.com
That’s it for this week’s 4 Pack.  I was glad to see in the paper today that ex-Philadelphia School District superintendent Arlene Ackerman was denied unemployment today.  As Nelson from the Simpson would say, “HA HA”.  Karma’s a bitch.  Until next time this is Jimbo saying I’ll care about the very poor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment