Thursday, July 14, 2011

Beam Me up Scotty

Space.  The final frontier.  (cue Star Trek intro)  To boldly go where no man has gone before.  Am I talking about the Starship Enterprise?  No, I’m talking about NASA.  In response to the recent final Space Shuttle mission of Atlantis and the debt crisis our country is in, I thought I’d discuss NASA for a bit.  The first thing that I think of when I think about NASA is why?  Why spend so much money for what is basically a science fiction nuts wet dream?  Isn’t there more pressing needs?  Let’s dissect this a bit.
For fiscal year 2011 NASA’s chunk of the federal budget is approximately $19 billion.  That’s billion with a capital B.  Our country is danger of defaulting on loans and we are going to spend $19 billion on science fiction?  What about the schools?  What about social security?  No, you want to spend it on exploring Mars.  I don’t want to into details and numbers but the space shuttle program cost billions of dollars and accomplished what?  The only thing I think of when I think of shuttles are the 2 that blew up.  My question is; why do we need NASA?

Before anyone even says it I know that TV, Satellite Radio, GPS, etc. are powered by satellites put up by NASA.  I think it’s necessary that we have these items.  But why do we need to explore Mars?  Are we really going to live there?  Why spend the money to explore the atmosphere and surface of a planet that we probably will never be able to get to when some of the $19 billion can do a lot here.  I’ll be the first to admit that some of the NASA space exploration stuff is pretty interesting.  I always read articles about what the satellites are bringing back but wake up people.  As entertaining as it is to me and I’m sure millions of others, it’s not necessary.  So let’s slash NASA’s budget.  No frills.  Just get the satellites we need into space.  Shouldn’t cost that much especially since most are put up by private companies who foot the bill anyway.  Better yet send all of our idiot politicians who are arguing over whether or not we should default on our loans up into space, and then cut the budget.  Not very logical captain.

Thursday Evening 4-Pack (It doesn’t matter what day it is as long as you get your 4-pack)

Debt Ceiling
While we are on the subject of our government and money;  What the hell is going on with this whole debt ceiling nonsense?  We need to get more business people into our government.  That would solve this whole mess.  I know people have debt.  Some even are in a ridiculous amount of debt.  But its common sense.  Don’t live beyond your means.  I’m not going out and buying a new car right now.  Why?  1.  The one I have gets the job done and 2. I really can’t afford one.  Why doesn’t our government work this way?  You don’t have the money?  Don’t tell your “allies”  that you’ll help them out.  Let’s be honest, will some of those small, poor countries help us out?  When did it become our responsibility to help you out?  I’m not going to let a friend of mine borrow $100 if I have to pay my electric bill that’s $125.  Its common sense.  Common sense is apparently something our government doesn’t have.  Our government is living way beyond its means.  What would people say about me if I just kept racking up debt, only to pass it on to my kids?  So why does the government get away with it?  I’m not saying raise taxes.  God only knows we pay too much as it is.  The problem is the way our government manages its money.  They have plenty of money.  Just spend it the right way.  I don’t have their books in front me but slash NASA’s budget.  Fix the ridiculous welfare system.  Too many people abuse the system.  Make people take drug tests in order to be on welfare.  Stop spending money on frivolous lawsuits against people like Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens.  Stop having “special sessions” of Congress for MLB steroid use.  Legalize marijuana and tax the hell out of it.  There.  I just made the government billions of dollars.  I need to stop though because I’m sure NASA’s satellites have picked up my signal and have sent the FBI to my house.  Probably yours too for reading……..

Cell Phone Attachment
I saw on Channel 10 the other day that there is a study being done that people are “emotionally attached” to their cell phones.  Huh?  Sure, smartphones have made everyone’s life easier.  I use my phone for everything.  I’d be lost if I didn’t have it.  Would I be depressed?  Would I need Prozac because I lost my phone?  No.  Those people need help because something is wrong if you are that attached to your cellphone.  Make a friend people.

Fielder Kids
At the all-star game parade the Arizona fans apparently were upset with Prince Fielder for not picking Justin Upton for the homerun derby.  So upset that they booed and threw water at Fielder’s car that contained his wife and kids.  Where’s the national outrage?  Why isn’t this a national news story?  Why aren’t the Arizona fans being called out for this?  Oh yeah, much like those douchbags in Vancouver, they’re not from Philly.  Only Philly fans can be ripped in the media.  My bad.

Ashley Madison
If anyone has listened to Howard Stern or maybe even other stations you’d probably heard of Ashley Madison.  For those that haven’t, ashleymadison.com is a website where married people can hook up to have discreet affairs.  Noel Biderman, the founder of Ashley Madison, has made million off of this site.  He and the site have also caught a lot of controversy for obvious reasons.  Let me be the first to say, bravo Mr. Biderman.  Look, I don’t condone extramarital affairs.  I’m a firm believer that if you marry someone it’s a sacred thing and you are in that for life.  I’m also not naïve enough to believe that people are not going to cheat.  Why should Biderman be crucified for his site?  I say why not make a buck off of something people are going to do anyway?  Just something to think about.

Well that’s it for today.  I want to say thank you to our loyal readers.   Remember like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @Obs_Views_Blog Until next time this is Jimbo saying I just can't do it Captain, I don’t have the power.

No comments:

Post a Comment