Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Peace, I'm Outta Here

I posted a question on Facebook this morning and due to the overwhelming popularity of it I’ve decided to make today’s post about it.  For those of you who did not see or are not my friend on Facebook (well what are you waiting for?) after watch Friday Night Lights the other night Abby asked if I’d move out of state if she was offered her dream job.  For those of you who don’t know (again, WTF?) Abby is the woman, who in what can only be described as a momentary lapse of judgment, agreed to marry me.  At first I said absolutely without giving it much thought.  Then I started thinking harder about it.  Would it be that easy?  Would I be able to do it?  There so much that goes into it.  I came to the conclusion that despite the fact it would be tough, I’d still do it.  Let’s walk through the though process.

On the surface this seems like a pretty simple question.  As you think about it, it’s really not.  First thing that came to mind is where would I work.  Luckily I’m not attached to my dream job at the moment so this would be an easy part of the decision.  I’m not even sure what career I’m going to end up at let alone what job.  So while for some that may be the hard part for me it was a no brainer.  See ya later.

Now comes the tough part.  Entertainment.  If you are a loyal reader then you know I thoroughly like to be entertained and I’m willing to spend my hard earned money to be entertained.  Of course with no job it would be Abby’s hard earned money but I digress.  I’m not talking about nightlife because pretty much every place you go (except possibly Ocean City, NJ) there will be a bar, movie theater, restaurants, etc. within driving distance.  What may not be so close are professional sports.  Leaving my Eagles and Phillies would be the toughest part.  The Phils tickets I’d have to give up since they aren’t in my name.  The Eagles tickets would remain (as long as Abby was willing to pay until I get a job) because they are very near and dear to my heart.  I would definitely want it to be near a professional sports town so I can attend games.  Not a deciding factor but a huge factor none the less.  After going back and forth I decided that as long as moving and getting a dream job was that important, I’d reluctantly move.  Bye bye, sniff.

Probably the hardest part would be leaving family and friends.  90% of my family and friends live within an hour’s drive of me.  That would be hard.  Contrary to what many people may expect and think, this would be harder than leaving the Eagles tickets…..just by a hair.  As many people pointed out on Facebook today, I don’t have kids so it would be a lot easier to do now than in the future.  I also have never had a problem making friends so I’m sure I’d find some unemployed people to hang out with while my sugar mama was bringing home the bacon.  As hard as it would be I’d be willing to leave.  Toodles.

Of course there are minor things that come up.  Despite the fact this summer has been brutally hot and I’ve shoveled enough snow the past 2 winters to last a lifetime, I like the weather here.  Not a huge deciding factor but I’d think twice about moving to Texas or Arizona.  I’d also think twice about someplace cold like Alaska, although if I became a citizen they’d pay me money and that would help take the burden off of Abby to pay for my entertainment.  Of course cost of living, proximity to the ocean, likelihood of a natural disaster, etc. all play a role but probably not as much as the intangibles.  The biggest intangible is the fact that despite all of its shortcomings, I’m in love with the city of Philadelphia.  I’m sure there are many places that have similar appeal, but none are Philly.  I can’t describe it but Philadelphia and the surrounding suburbs have something.  (Insert your own joke here)  Maybe it’s because I grew up around here and also went to school here.  Yeah, basically I’ve never left.  I’ve traveled places and like them but it is always nice to come home.  As tough as it would be, I’d leave my city…..but definitely come back and visit often (as long as I get a job).  Peace out.

The funny part is, this conversation actually took place in my head.  It’s something to think about.  It’s very easy to say yes or no but once you think about it it’s not that easy.  On a side note, I did a pros and cons list in my head and not moving had more checks but having a happy Abby trumped all.  Luckily I don’t have to make this decision but if I ever do, I’ve gone through the process.

Tuesday Evening 4 pack

Friday Night Lights
Last Friday marked the end of an era.  For those who have not watched the final episode I won’t spoil it but the series finale of Friday Night Lights did not disappoint.  I was a loyal viewer of the Sopranos and I’m going to go as far as saying that Friday Night Lights is almost up there with the Sopranos.  I know what you’re thinking; I spent too much time thinking about a fictitious move and lost my mind.  If you ever watched it you would know what I’m talking about.  Friday Night Lights was not a teen show.  Sure some of the characters were teens but it was different.  The writers and actors on this show did an amazing job of making you care about them.  I’m sure many will disagree, but I don’t care.  It was one of the most underrated shows on TV and it will be missed.   If you don’t believe check it out On Demand.  P.S., the TV show was much better than the movie.

Shootouts
This is going to be short and sweet.  If anyone out there (I’m looking towards my soccer peeps) can explain to me how the World Cup, the tournament to see who is the best soccer team in the world is, can be decided on penalty kicks I’d love to hear it.  No, I wouldn’t feel any different if the U.S. had won.  What skill is there?  You’re going to decide the best soccer team in the world based on chance?  It all comes down to whether the goalie guesses right.  Someone please explain because to me its bush league.

People on Bus Complaining
Another short one.  I’ve noticed this summer, since I’ve been taking the bus to work; people love to complain loudly and inappropriately.  They complain that the bus is late, the bus is too crowded, and the drivers are all in some big conspiracy to ruin their morning/afternoon commute.  To this I have one thing to say; shut the fuck up.  You have options.  1.  Save your money and buy a car and pay for parking.  2. Take the train.  3.  Walk or ride a bike.  4.  Shut your mouth and enjoy your $2 ride.  For all the shit they get, I must say, riding a SEPTA bus to and from work every day is not that bad.  I know you rarely hear this but kudos SEPTA.  I’d be more than willing have you pull over and kick that loud mouth bitch off the bus.

Poison Ivy
Once again it will be short.  What purpose does poison ivy serve?  I know some of life’s irritating things actually serve some type of purpose.  I don’t see what poison ivy’s purpose is.  To make me miserable?  I’m usually very careful when I do yard work but apparently I forgot to scrub my ankles and the backs of my knees last weekend.  Poison Ivy is almost as worthless as shootouts to decide the World Cup.  Yeah, I said it.

That’s all for today.  Thanks once again to our loyal readers and hell, even some of the unloyal ones too.  Tell your friends and family about us.  Follow on Twitter @Obs_Views_Blog and of course like us on Facebook.  I may not be posting for a few days due to the fact I’ll be in Vegas.  I’m sure there will be plenty to write about when I get back.  Until next time this is Jimbo saying I don’t care if it is a “dry heat”, 110 degrees is still hot as hell.

1 comment:

  1. I have to say if my wife found her dream job sports would be a HUGE part of what would be a very tough decision. The convenience of having 4 pro (5 if you count the union) teams 45 minutes from my house is to nice. I agree with the "something about philly" thing 100%.

    At the end of the day I would move to but it would have to be San Diego b/c they have Philly themed bars out there.

    CJ

    ReplyDelete