Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Cold Beer Here



After feedback from many of our loyal readers, we’ve decided to remodel a bit.  Would love to hear your feedback on the new look.  The way we see it the new look is easier on the eyes.  Please, let us know your thoughts.  Also if you haven’t done so already, check out our guest blog post on Thoughts from the Underground.  This is probably turning into a weekly gig.

Today I want to talk about Major League Baseball and their consideration of banning beer in the clubhouses of their teams.  This all stems from a few Boston Red Sox pitchers saying that during some games they’d be in the clubhouse drinking beer, eating fried chicken and playing video games.  Currently Major League Baseball leaves it up to the individual teams to make the determination if beer is allowed in the clubhouse or not.

There a couple of points here that bother me:

·         First of all drinking, eating, and playing video games during the game?  Whatever happened to supporting your teammates?  As a little league coach I required my team to support one another and told them to constantly “keep your head in the game”.  Granted they were 11 and 12 year olds but come on.  Yes I know that the American League has a designated hitter so chances are you wouldn’t have been asked to come into the game but you’re not on the bench supporting your team?  This one falls on the manager.  Terry Francona, you don’t require your team to sit on the bench?  That’s deplorable and a prime example of why some professional athletes act like spoiled babies.

·  Secondly, why is having a few beers during the game even an option?  Look, I get that baseball players travel the country for 6 months during the year, the hours on the road are long, blah blah blah.  I’m not saying that ball players shouldn’t be able to drink, but while you’re at work?  I’d love to have a couple of beers during my prep period at school to help deal with some of the tougher classes.  If that is me I’d be fired instantly.  You can’t wait until after the game to have a few beers and eat some fried chicken?  Come on.

·         If you have ever watched a celebration in    a Major League clubhouse after a team wins, the champagne and beer are flowing freely.  You don’t think that Budweiser “sponsors” them?  All you see is cans of Bud and Bud Light all around.  Three stadiums (Busch Stadium, Miller Park and Coors Field) are named after beers.  All you see around a baseball stadium is advertising for beer companies.  Hey Major League Baseball, just a bit hypocritical? 

·         As far as it sending the wrong message to kids; seriously?  As a kid growing up I didn’t say “I saw Lenny Dykstra drinking a beer after a game so I can’t wait to have a beer”.  I also didn’t say “Lenny chews tobacco so I need to chew tobacco”.  This argument is weak at best.  If Major League Baseball really wants to make a statement about alcohol, how about starting with punishing its players convicted of DUIs?  Basically by banning beer in the clubhouse Major League Baseball is saying, it’s ok if you drive drunk as long as you don’t do it on our watch.

Look, I get that players shouldn’t be able to drink during the games.  I’m not even sure they should be able to drink afterwards in the clubhouse (although at some jobs I’ve had, I’ve drank on my job's property after work).  I get that Major League Baseball has to say or do something after this story from Boston came out.  My issue is that like most things, Major League Baseball is taking an ass backwards approach.  You want to make a statement?  Crack down on DUIs.  Don’t half ass it and take away something that apparently only 3 knuckleheads abused.  (You’d think if this was something that was a major issue, someone would’ve come out and said we do it too?).  Do the right thing MLB.

That’s it for today.  Thanks for all your loyal support and look for Kyle and I to be regular guest bloggers on Thoughts From the Underground.  Remember to follow us on Twitter @Obs_Views_Blog and like us on Facebook.  I’d love to hear your thoughts on Beer and Fried Chicken Gate.  Leave your feedback on the new look as well.  Until next time this is Jimbo saying this Bud’s for you.

3 comments:

  1. mmmmmmm.....chicken

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pendulum always swings too far and too quickly, and we seem to have lost our common-sense approach to a lot of things. Personally, I think professional athletes should be playing "for the love of the game" and should be totally involved in the game and totally committed to the game, whether they're on the field or not. I know, that's a pretty old-fashioned and outdated view!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your comments; MLB has become a microcosm of our governmental attitude: small story gets blow up and "legislation" is needed. These teams can run their clubs the way they want and we, as their customers, can give them feedback or even stop supporting them. Unless the behavior is strictly illegal or is in someway cheating, leave it alone.

    Michael (from the Live Free or Die state, as you might have been able to tell...)

    ReplyDelete